Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Support Group Needed

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Support Group Needed

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jan 03, 2013 10:11 pm

First of all, YES, I could shut off the tv.

But she barks.

Lily is fixated on so far, two days of MERLIN on tv. I did manage to persuade her to watch the ballet "Sleeping Beauty" last night, to give mine ears a rest.

I DO know about taking her scootering so she gets some sniffing and scent-marking in...unfortunately I had an accident and am not up to scootering YET.

Dave and Orchid Guy, if you are reading this...it was not a scooter accident...

The rest of yez, start laughing NOW.

I mentioned before that I have a very low child sized toilet (the former lady here was very little) and since I am stiffening up, I ordered one of the high raised seats from Sears Catalogue. Yesterday morning at 7:30 a.m. I fell ASLEEP on the damn thing and the tightly fastened down seat and I tumbled off onto the floor. I managed to get bruised and scraped which I can live with, but the tumble mucked up my left side...a couple days of being nice to myself will take care of it, I am sure.

So I cannot take Lily scootering till I have my strength, fitness, and CONFIDENCE back, and she needs it badly. There is no one I can ask.

SO...laughter at it all, and some cheering words would come in handy, if anyone has any to spare!

Please and thank you!

Lizzy
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Support Group Needed

Postby davefrombc » Jan 04, 2013 4:41 am

Sorry, I giggled and wondered fleetingly how many hits a Youtube video of that would have gotten.. I hope you heal quickly so Lily can get some outdoors time with you; and you can enjoy your scooter again .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Laura » Jan 04, 2013 7:46 am

Oh Liz ... sorry you took the tumble.I took one going up the basement stairs and bruised my legs and one arm and my ego.Sarah stood at the top of the stairs and gave me that doggie head-tilt "what the heck are you doing " look.

Would your sweet Lily walk on a treadmill ? .... I am thinking seriously of getting one for Sarah,she has been driving us crazy wanting to go walkies but it has been way too cold for her (and me ) to be out for a mile walk at - 30 with the wind chill .She runs to the door and wants out every five minutes or any time we get up from our seats or walk in the direction of the door.

I did invite Sarah to run up and down the stairs but after she saw me fall up them ... she didn't believe me that it was a GOOD idea ....
Laura

Postby OGrubber » Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am

Too bad you don't have a grist mill handy, Liz.
You could tie Lilly's lead to the horsey's and they could go round and round....
Or, you could just bounce rubber balls off the walls until you drive "himself" crazy enough to come up and take her for a walk.
Take care of that side of yours.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby bluewillow » Jan 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Sorry to hear Lizzie that you had that high tumble. Take life easy for a time until you are totally mended. Tumbles are never fun.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby fernleaf » Jan 04, 2013 1:17 pm

OMG! I don't want to alarm you but have you had your left side checked by a doctor and had any X-rays? It is better to be sure there are no breaks in any ribs or other bones. Sometimes even the slightest injury can break a bone. Hopefully not in your case. Even if it is just severe bruising, it takes time to become painless. Lily will just have to bear with you till you are up and about and able to go with her. Just get lots of rest and you should be up and about shortly -- please don't overdo in any way. We must keep all kind-hearted people like yourself healthy.

Take care
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." Albert Camus
fernleaf

Postby Laura » Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Well Sarah had her way and got out for walkies this morning.I figured what ever the weather we were going out for as long as I could stand it ... we made it around the whole walk ! There was no wind so even with the -12 temperature it was not bad at all.

After we got back I went back out again and walked over to the hospital to visit my sisters boyfriend.He had a fall and broke a bone in his knee.He won't be able to go home because he cannot climb stairs.Has a cast hip to ankle,poor fellow.

Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jan 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Thank you ALL! Just what I needed! (except for Laura's sister's boyfriend's fall...hope he mends as fast as he possibly can...but it takes TIME.)

I have thought about a treadmill (which I would trip and fall over) but Lily already got a $750 2nd hand beautiful scooter and the budget will not handle a treadmill for her as well.

She DOES get exercise...she must leap off the bed and jump at the tv when she disapproves of the commercials interrupting MERLIN...and then leap back onto the bed when the show returns to the air. There ARE a lot of commericals...it's hard to miss them with the angry barks.

She managed to disengage the tv this morning...two strange boxes to manipulate but I got it going again...very Angry Barks till I did.

Dang and I'm supposed to be the Alpha Bitch here too!

I AM healing folks...arnica gel worked for bruises, works for sore muscles...and I am with Dave. - it IS funny! ..but please, NOT on YouTube!

The grist mill sounds like an idea, Inge...I had thought of one of those cages to put Lily in to turn the wheel to turn a spit with a roasting ox over a huge fire...but there is still over half a turkey left from Christmas and does anyone know how long a roast ox would last us? (As long as she can watch Merlin, or kids' tv, at the same time, she would be happy, I think.)

Fernleaf, it was just a gentle slide to the side and down to the floor, it was not an almighty crash...husband wasn't even aware of it happening...no dogs were set to barking, altho had the cat been watching he'd likely hope I'd do it again to amuse him. YOU are sweet.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Jan 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Umm, Liz,

Check with Sears if they have the guard rails that go with the raised toilet seat apparatus. Both my Dad and Mom-in-law have them because they are both very unsteady on the throne, as it were. No more tumbles please, it will mess up your gardening season, seriously!

So you're saying your dog watches TV and has an opinion on commercials? Now that's hysterical!

Molly was ecstatic this afternoon when hubby and I both took her for a run in the park. She was right bouncy and porpoised through the snowbanks looking for sticks to bring us. This is a totally labrador retriever behaviour and makes us laugh. She bounced back into the house with a snow beard and twinkles in her eyes. She loves snow season, and two parents are always better than one on a walk. Nice temp today to at about -3 after a morning snow shower. Glittery snow, and sunshine, a gorgeous combination.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jan 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi Heidi!

It HAS the armrests/rails...altho I am going to remove them. I'm not wobbly, or dizzy whilst on the throne, I truly did fall asleep,

That's what I get for reading all night.

Yes, true about the commercials, also boring political speakers or "talking heads". She approves of Idle No More (the drumming),,,and she whimpers and whines when she wants the channel changed. She knows I use the remote to change channels too...looks for it in my hand.

We slept most of the afternoon, the tv got a well-deserved rest.

Lucky YOU with Molly and SNOW! How I miss the Labrador with Sticks...sticks so proudly carried everywhere...and two humans to throw for her!

Tomorrow I will have a new grandpuppy...a young chocolate Lab named Indy. Enormous paws. In Vancouver area so I won't get to see him grow up, but there'll be pictures.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence