Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Spam and crap

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Spam and crap

Postby davefrombc » Dec 28, 2012 1:58 pm

When you see obvious spam postings , like the kitchen cabinet ones, do not open them. Any activity on such postings just encourages more... Let the mods or admin ( if they ever visit the site) remove them..Ignore the not so obvious ones , like postings to "test the waters" before spamming, such as the reply to the old potato thread. Again , let the administration take care of those posters.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Re: Spam and crap

Postby Laura » Dec 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Great advice Dave .... usually I can tell by the poster's name,you know a name I have never seen before,that the post is most likely a spam.It is even more telling when the name is posting mulitple times in many threads.

What I do is go through and read the posts with names I know are real posters and leave the "odd" ones,then when I read and reply to the regular posters I go to the main page and click on "mark forums read" and it blanks out the color on the posts.

We do seem to be getting a lot lately .... I have clicked on some to get to the report button but they are usually already reported so I don't do that anymore.

Thanks for the reminder ....
Laura

Postby bluewillow » Dec 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Good advice, Dave. We do seem to be getting far more of late. I usually can spot them and ignore.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby kelly_m » Dec 28, 2012 4:35 pm

The Mod is on as often as she can be rght now.

And everytime I am on the only time I have is to remove spam. The amount I have removed in the last 2 weeks has taken up any time I would spend actually on the forum.

Dave's advice is right. Click on the report button in the top right corner....opening up the link is exactly what they want you to do. If it is reported I can see it right from the start and remove it fast and easy.

THX
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jan 03, 2013 10:13 pm

"Spam and crap" sounds like something I might make for dinner!

Sorry to see no recipe!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Jan 04, 2013 7:24 am

.... LOL
Laura

Postby bluewillow » Jan 04, 2013 11:36 am

... and the nerve of 'them' posting their crap in the Feedback !!!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jan 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Two reasons I've virtually stopped coming on this forum: the spam and slow loading of pages. I see it's getting worse.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jan 05, 2013 4:58 pm

I find loading is reasonably quick...not perfect but. And I see the odd piece of spam posts occasionally ...just enough to say "tch!" to and move on.

Hope it improves for everyone affected.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Jan 06, 2013 12:58 am

After some difficulties this summer, I am able to get on this forum without significant problems these days.

However, just yesterday, the Nigerian Fedex office contacted me on email to tell me that someone has sent me $800K and all I have to do is send them all my details! Sure! That's going to happen.

What shocks me is that anyone still falls for this garbage, and yet it happens time and again.

The spam stuff seems relatively easy to spot though - currently kitchens, anyone? annoying for sure. I don't know how websites keep abreast of the ever changing efforts to cause problems, disrupt services and bother us regular folk. It must be time consuming and expensive to keep having to do upgrades and security systems.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence