Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Gardening in December ....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Gardening in December ....

Postby Laura » Dec 10, 2012 7:57 am

Can hardly believe I am still gardening in december.Saturday B and Sarah and I spent some time digging around in the Patch and cutting down the hedge.Never thought we would be doing outside stuff this late in the year.What with the stuff going on this fall,it was so late we thought we would not be able to get it done.The weather has been pretty good though and we are managing to get there ... slowly.

I really need/want to move my peony out front but wonder if I dare.We are needing to till up the front lawn this spring and it needs to be moved out of the way.It is dormant now and the ground is not frozen but it is so late.

Still have a few more old roots to dig out and pull up some annuals,some potted perrenials to heel into the Patch for the winter and then just the gutters to clean .... kind of late but I think we may get it all done.

Laura

Re: Gardening in December ....

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 10, 2012 4:04 pm

You begin to sound like us, on the west coast.

I am still getting Iceberg roses, very tiny ones.

I don't know about the peony moving...how fast does freeze-up come when it comes? I may have killed a clematis moving it too late...Niobe, at that.

But, right now gardening is being done by Starlings. I have a large railing planter stuffed with tiny bulbs, and anenome...they are all growing, tips of bulbs sticking out...an inch and a half, and anenome leafiness. Each morning I take Lily out and there is a pile of soil scritched out onto the railing to be packed back into the planter, and some tiny bulbs to be re-planted. There is no winning at this game.

Yesterday while feeding the birds, I saw a long skinny worm slowly crawling along. Was 2 degrees C. Foolish worm, right under the feeder, too.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Dec 10, 2012 4:17 pm

When it started snowing this morning I thought well, that's over ... but ... then the temperature started going up and it's raining.I just may get back out there tomorrow.

I may take a chance to move the peony.It will surly die if I move it in the spring.Can't go around it so it has to move.Temperatures are in the pluses all this week,I may get lucky.Starlings huh,they are nice looking birds,and I love birds,but they sure can be a pain in the patooty at times.

You are so lucky to still have roses !! .... I can just see mine in my memory.
Laura

Postby CdnChelsea » Dec 10, 2012 4:25 pm

I have been procrastinating all month about surrounding the burning bushes with chicken wire to keep the rabbits from eating them during the winter. I also need to cover up the Rhododendrum so the heavy snow load doesn't break any stems.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have the time and energy.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Laura...I've moved peonies in the spring and summer and never lost one yet.Just don't bury them too deep and give them lots of water. It's no fun gardening in this weather.Get back in the house and find another Christmas movie to watch.I've never been a fall gardener! Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Laura » Dec 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Good to know Joy .... I still may move it if the weather stays warm but if not I will wait.

CC ... we are just a couple of PRO-crastinaters ... why do today what you can put off til tomorrow ? ... lol.

Laura

Return to Over the Garden Fence