Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Huh (?) .....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Huh (?) .....

Postby Laura » Dec 05, 2012 4:27 pm

My friend came and got me today so we could go to our local mall,the one they always tout as "THE place to shop" in the city.We thought we would see marvelous decorations and hear snappy christmas music and have a nice walk ... NOT !!!

There was no music playing in the place at all,let alone any christmas music and no decoration to speak of except for where santa was and that was a couple of christmas trees and a few lights.What a let down.In most of the shop windows there are a variety of dunmmies dressed in black outfits ... even at the children's shops !

This is supposed to represent the christmas season ??? .... it sure didn't make me feel like shopping.

I don't go for the commercial christmas but man they could make a little effort.
Laura

Re: Huh (?) .....

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Couldn't agree with you moree, Laura...no Christmas music in my one and only proper mall, some window decorations.

The neighbours are making up for it with Christmas lighting (me too!) And music from the tv music channel.

The snow Heidi PROMISED has NOT arrived. It is amazing how I keep up my spirits!

and on another note...what is with all the Canada-wde female news people, and the weather ladies? Everyone is dressed in either black, or gloomy colours...they all look like the are going to funerals.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Dec 05, 2012 9:15 pm

I stopped wearing black quite a few years ago.Have a sister that wears only black,at our other sisters wedding she came in a black suit with red lipstick ... the poor girl looked ill.When people who know us see me they get that "pity" look on there face and ask me in a quiet voice " Is she okay ? ... she's not sick is she ?".

I know everyone thinks it makes them look slim and that may be true but I think color makes you look alive.I think gloomy colors make for gloomy moods.

I got a gently used hat and gloves from my older sis .... angora and the color ... fushia !! .... very flashy.

Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Perhaps she wants to be right in fashion, the bright red lipstick, the black dress...slimming or not...it's everywhere.

It's MY preference that I love a Joseph's Coat appearance, it makes ME happy. And to me that's the whole point of being a grown up, you can dress as you please.

I love the sounds of your fuschia coloured accessories! I like fuschia too. Wear it with a purple sweater, and lime green socks (for warmth.)

NOTE: I have been to the dentist, the last of my Hard Things to do for the month...I will get all my lower teeth pulled out in hospital in January (he hopes/he'll do his bestest for his "Miss Elizabeth"...and I will get my first cataract removed in the hospital sometime in February. I am going to be a new and improved Liz in 2013. 2nd cataract gets done after first is healed and they see how I do.

God bless the people who do the large print books, and my library who has a stupendous stock of these.

Tonight we went driving about to see Christmas Lights, and Himself is very enthused, now has a better idea of what can be done to the the Sumac out front, all drapey,and flouncy...so there is that to look forward to too!

AND, he plans to try to get them started on the post-cancer treatment for his removed bladder tumour (NON invasive, NON musculatureish) before Christmas too...even tho he's still having a lot of pain...and is dreading the procedure that goes on for six weeks.

Methinks a Happy Christmas is on its way to the House of Rose!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Dec 05, 2012 11:36 pm

I always like to go look at the lights.We see a lot around our normal walk but on nice nights we walk different streets so we can see the whole neighborhood.Sarah just likes going anywhere she hasn't sniffed over yet ... lol

Don't know how christmas will be here .... father-in-law is healing but cannot go south so in-laws are stuck (mother-in-laws word) here for christmas.Now,knowing what a pain she thinks christmas is,the fact that all Brian's guys go away ( they all hate (their word) christmas .... What are we going to do ? Will they expect a dinner ? Dare I try to make dinner for someone who 1) thinks it all a pain in the butt. 2) who is clearly not comfortable in our home. 3) is miffed at having to be here and not in florida. 4) expects that all proper dishes,untensils,and serving pieces be used at dinner,with cloth napkins and all ... and I certainly do not have that kind of kitchen,AND we have no diningroom :shock:

Oh ... I could just hear the stories being told at the bridge club now .....

Since my family is so big now we don't do the gift thing,we just have a big pot luck and everybody visits and tells the "remember when" stories.This usually happens after christmas.

Since Brian's family is usually gone B and Sarah and I usually go for a walk in the park on christmas.Sarah wears her santa coat and I wear my santa hat ... Brian just laughs at us but we have great fun.After we get all walked out and cold we head home for hot chocolate and toast.

Well Liz ... I hope you and hubby get all tuned up and rested for the next gardening season .... take care my lovely.

11 pm here and as Brian would say ... " I go to bed now "

Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 06, 2012 12:16 am

Petal, dare I ask if your mum in law might find it unique and interesting if she got invited to your family "do" with potluck and paper towels for napkins, and mismatched chairs, and mismatched "silver"ware,OR bring her here where I do NOT like matchings of anythings and all of my PVERY ROPER dinner table is set with folks' favourite from my dishes? (Some folks like a huge plate, overloaded, and some folks like a tiny tea plate with spaces showing, and go back for MORE. She'd get the PRETTIEST wine glass, full of coloured sparkle, and know she is the Party Girl!...

Here, she would have to wear a silly paper hat, and would be honour-bound to tell us all an interesting Christmas Story, or a poem...or at the very least, pretend to be a famous figure from long-dead-ago, and keep to her part no matter how we questioned what it was like back then.

She could always cop out and read from the huge Norman Rockwell Christmas book...but she'd have to participate.

If the answer is no...then perhaps a restaurant if one is open? Most folks behave better in restaurants, and you can drop her off at home when it is over...buy her a Christmas corsage to wear, for dinner.

I am hoping for a good weather day, and a chance to take the scooter into town, and Baby, Let the Good Times Roll on Christmas afternoon with a good long stroll/walk along the Willingdon Beach Trail with Cordy, Lily, Molly, and Jim right next to the Pacific Ocean. We will take peanuts for the little red squirrels, and any Stellers Jays, and if it happens, it will be a completely delightful day. Home, to the smell of a turkey cooking, dogs drooling, Hamish worried that he should have basted it/where have you been?

and by then I will dearly want to eat in bed, with a furry group around me, and beautiful Christmas peace and Love everywhere.

IF you do have her at your place, you can tell her about me: MY kitchen: all of my big wooden spoons are in use at the moment, they are thrust thru lower cupboard door handles to keep Hamish from exploring in whatever is in these cupboards. (It honestly does add a homey-touch, Laura!)

I was really surprised at my success...I did hanging baskets of evergreen greenery, bows, pears, partridges, (in chicken wire, with a pail of water to preserve) and these all stood up to the mighty storms we've been having...It is sure nice to have a plus every once in awhuke/1

Tomorrow is sugar cookie decorating time...4 dozen Christmas trees in various shades of green, with glitter, and pizzazz. One hopes.

we still have to shop...wrap...Dog help us!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Dec 06, 2012 8:23 am

Well,as of now,me thinks I will go with the flow.Not suggesting anything til I feel out how things go.I stuck my nose in a few times and got it bit so this time I'll take a more cautious approach.Right now she is still in a snit about it so I will let her stew a bit before I mention it.
It's funny you know,she is so prim and proper with us but (to hear them tell it) they really live it up at the golf club and the bridge parties they go to .... of course they are drinking at those.

I just love winter walkies !! .... Sarah does too,she gets full of snow and has to get dunked in the tub with warm water to get cleaned off but she gets cookies after so it works for her ... lol.

My family always has such great times when we get together.No one cares if things are matched,and what the meal is, just bring all the gang and have a great time.We also entertain with poems or song and most definately stories.The one always gets told about the cake my sister made ... "and the dog wouldn't even eat it " and the one about how I got a brand new pair of shiny black shoes and walked funny because I didn't want to "bend" them ... lol.And singing YES and yes .... we always do a lot of singing ! And you just have to get down on the floor with the kids and play with the new toys !

I remember one christmas my nephew was having about his tenth tantrum of the day ... my mother walked to the middle of the room,fell down,and had a tantrum too .... nephew shut right up and stared at his grandma,the look on his face was priceless.We had a great laugh and he was wonderful the rest of the day.

I have some baking to do.My cookies went over so good with the kids last year so I am making squares this year,gingerbread squares with raisins and candied ginger,pineapple squares with coconut topping,and my mom's famous hello dollies.I will make a basket for the in-laws too since they are home.I am not much of a baker but the kids don't seem to care ... lol.

Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 06, 2012 5:29 pm

hmmm, my Ma was very stiff and awkward at gatherings..but a nice glass of Blackberry Cordial sure changed that, and she became very talkative, outgoing, and friendly. Maybe you could do the same for your Mil?

Some folks ARE so difficult.

Love your mom down on the floor having a trantrum!

And speaking of cakes that people wouldn't/couldn't eat...for her birthday when I was 13, I made a lovely big cake. It was my first...I did not know you couldn't frost them when they were hot, and I was in a hurry. Of course the frosting ran off onto the plate...but I was brilliant, and thrust it into the freezer...for a couple of hours. Mom came hone with a migraine...we skipped the cake...and it was best part of a week before she recovered enough. The cake looked disgusting (I really DO have a thing for green icing) and thawed out, it was very stale...I put it back in the freezer...found it a few weeks later when my job was to clean out the fridge and freezer.

I had no idea how to get rid of it and the Devil must have got into me, because I threw that thing to throw it over the neighbour's fence. Instead, it hit the fence and broke two boards. My girlfriend and I ran and his...didn't go near the backyard for days.

You'll be glad to know my baking skills DID improve...and I can produce a lovely pale green frosting too!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Dec 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Laff .... I guess it is true what my brother says ''Everybody has a cake story''

My mom was a hoot ... she did everything with the grandkids including doing belly-whoppers while sliding in the winter.She taught them how to do an irish jig and she played cars out in the dirt driveway with them.

Yes,liquor probably would help with the in-laws but there is none of that here.Maybe another reason they don't like coming.Whatever the reason,it's about them not me.I don't have a grand house but as my father always said "If we can stand to live here,they can stand to come in for half an hour".

I have to make a list and get the things to make the goodies this weekend.Will be baking next week and hopefully all will turn out well.Four packages,one for each grandkid,one for my son and his girlfriend and maybe one for the in-laws.That is not so many so should go okay .... here's hoping ... lol.

Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Speaking of baking...I decided to gift my youngest with three kids, 100 Sugar Cookies in the shape of decorated Christmas trees. I had seen such a lovely picture in a magazine.

I got 6 dozen cookies from the recipe, not 100.

Thank Dog.

It took three hours to decorate them.

And I blew it: I used a recipe for Italian Meringue (a boiled icing) was sure it would harden. Alas, it is not hardening. Not so far.

Problem number two...I don't have paste food colour...I have only the old fashioned food colouring that is a liquid. It never occurred to me that adding a LOT of a colour (trying for a darker colour) that it would "water" down the icing.

Some of them look prettier than others. Gold and yellow kind of melted into the icing. I can't get the entire picture of them.

I have to ship these by Greyhound...!
Attachments
Katie cookies.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence