Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What Would You Do Differently Next Year?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What Would You Do Differently Next Year?

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Sep 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Wow, what a great year here in Calgary. Idea weather, apart from dryness. Just wow. Now with the season behind me, here is what I am a-wowing to do differently this coming year:

1. Give away all but 1 tuber of each dahlia and buy a couple new & different ones. By some reason all 3 that I bought last year did not overwinter, and my 2 basic varieties are far too plentiful.
2. I will cover strawberries seriously with a frost blanket and a layer of mulch this year.
3. I will baby-sit squashes. They were so good in the first year, I did not pay any attention this year, and, as a result - no squashes!
4. I will keep on top of pruning and staking the tomatoes.
5. I will not buy new plants... I dunno about that one!
6. I will finally decide what to do about currants. I hate, hate, hate currants fruit fly
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Re: What Would You Do Differently Next Year?

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sep 27, 2012 9:48 am

I would -

get out of the 'Celebrity' rut and try a different variety of tomato next year;

not order so much bulk much - am exhausted from moving it all;

plant more 'Cut and Come Again' zinnias to form large pools;

maybe swap out 'Pink Delight' butterfly bush for one that has larger blooms (but will it be as hardy???);

dig the hole BEFORE buying the rose bush to make certain the perfect spot for the perfect rose has no surprise in it, like massive roots from the neighbor's cedar;

be more careful about what plants I buy at the garden center close-out as more is not always better! LOL LOL
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Sep 27, 2012 10:23 am

I am a total zinnia fan after 2 years of planting them. They are marvelous!

I am trying to decide what I want for tomatoes next year. I really like yellow tomatoes, and this year's one I got from Super Store was great, very tender and super-sweet.

Right now I have the following selection on my 'seed' list with Veseys:
Brandywine Organic Heritage & three varieties of the plum/grape tomatoes: Chocolate, Ildi and Tiny Tim. I am tempted to get a Mosaic Mix again, so I do not have so many seeds (whatever i am going to do with a few hundreds that will be left over even AFTER 2-3 years of planting?), but I really want to try those particular sorts. (Sigh)
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby orchidguy » Sep 27, 2012 12:55 pm

We had a seemingly neverending drought this year, and although plants grew well (drip irrigation saved the day) blooms were few and far between. So this year, I took the time to stop and smell the roses (literally) and enjoyed the garden as opposed to working it every single moment I was in it. This I think will continue from now on, so would not change that.
I think I will not order as many plants this up-coming season (say that every year)
Will cut down on the garden produce (specifically zucchini)
A Closet Canuck wrote:maybe swap out 'Pink Delight' butterfly bush for one that has larger blooms (but will it be as hardy???);

The size of blooms on a lot of buddleia can be controlled by pruning.
If the shrub is cut back to within 12" of the ground, you will get larger blooms, but a lot less than if the shrub is untrimmed
orchidguy

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sep 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Elena- I sooo understand the tomato seed dilemma. Have never heard of 'Mosaic Mix' but will look for it. Sounds like just what I need. Good luck with making your final choices.

Dan- thanks for the tip. Not sure what I want to do. It seems more blooms means more butterflies which is my purpose for having BF bushes.

A Closet Canuck

Postby CdnChelsea » Sep 28, 2012 7:36 am

After a long drought this summer, the plan is to use a lot more mulch next year to conserve water. Luckily, I found a place that gives it away.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sep 28, 2012 8:55 am

CdnChelsea wrote:.....Luckily, I found a place that gives it away.

That's the best kind of deal!

A Closet Canuck

Postby Heidi S » Sep 28, 2012 11:36 am

1. I have learned that following a better fertilization program works much better! I replaced soil in my greenhouse boxes, added compost and manure, added micro nutrients and side dressed with my home made fert mix, and got such nice tomatoes and cukes. Well worth the effort.

2. I am taking a different approach to wanting to try new varieties but not having room for endless seedlings - I am buying seedings from a reliable nursery - yes, it is more expensive, but I can get variety and not be wasting 23 out of 25 seeds from a packet. Now this year I had amazing luck with a greenhouse variety called 'cobra' will consider buying a packet of seeds next year - since it worked well for me in trial.

3. Learn to mourn plants that succumb to our weather changes from climate change, and move on. I can do a better job of planting, mulching and caring for the things I put in my garden, but I cannot control mid winter thaw, no snow cover, or 2 month long deluges or 3 month long droughts. So, if it dies, it isn't always my fault or the plants' fault, it might just be how things are going these days.

4. Hopefully, I can be home more next year - if we get Dad settled in his seniors' residence, we can all live easier knowing he is safe and I can be there once a month vs nearly 3 months in a row to look after him. I love my Dad and want him to live comfortably for as long as he has quality of life, but I really miss my own home, family and daily routine when living with Dad.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Countryboy » Sep 28, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm gonna do it this Fall... go out and 'girdle' some trees.

I love them, but I'm gettin' really tired of having no sunlite in the yard. I'll be keeping Wild *Black* Cherry trees, the Ironwoods, and the Oaks. But four or five big Maples have got to go. And one huge Birch.

Far enuf from things that I don't mind their big, dead hulks becoming a home for Birds and Squirrels and the like . . . but the leaves will never be back...
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sep 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Heidi S wrote:.........3. Learn to mourn plants that succumb to our weather changes from climate change, and move on. I can do a better job of planting, mulching and caring for the things I put in my garden, but I cannot control mid winter thaw, no snow cover, or 2 month long deluges or 3 month long droughts. So, if it dies, it isn't always my fault or the plants' fault, it might just be how things are going these days.........

Oh so true! I, too, am letting plants go that can't make it in our weather and replacing them with ones that can. Life is short and it isn't worth it trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

Am very surprised by some plants, though. Hostas did wonderfully well during our extended drought without much watering. My 'Morden Centennial' rose, in a raised bed, also came through with flying colors. Also thriving are two smoke trees, Cotinus 'Grace' and Cotinus 'Golden Spirit', both on the hot, dry side of the house.

I'd like to add that being a native plant doesn't make it, necessarily, a survivor. I had a difficult time keeping Viburnum trilobum compactum (native tall cranberry bush) alive.

A Closet Canuck

Next

Return to Plant Talk