Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

How important are hydroponic grow lights?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

How important are hydroponic grow lights?

Postby samthomas » Mar 22, 2012 2:25 pm

How important are hydroponic grow lights in indoor and outdoor hydroponics gardening?

Indoor vegetable gardening needs plenty of lights. Hydroponic grow lights come in a variety of types such as full-spectrum fluorescent bulbs, metal halide grow lamps, high pressure sodium lights, and high-intensity LED grow lights and it is essential to select the perfect light sensibly.

What you think?? I read this article ( Indoor And Outdoor Hydroponics Gardening ) but still im confused ...How important are hydroponic grow lights? Give your suggestions and tell me your experience.
samthomas

Re: How important are hydroponic grow lights?

Postby Dumbo » Mar 22, 2012 6:41 pm

samthomas wrote:How important are hydroponic grow lights in indoor and outdoor hydroponics gardening?

No light = death. Thus important.

samthomas wrote:I read this article ( Indoor And Outdoor Hydroponics Gardening ) but still im confused ...How important are hydroponic grow lights?

That's because the article doesn't tell you anything at all. Instead all it does is link to this company: plantnutrients.co (also called advancednutrients, as was spammed here in this BS topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22900)

In that topic I am pretty certain all it was was someone trying to spam something called "Buzzzz juice" for plants.

In this topic, linking to the same company, they seem to want to sell you Iguana Juice for your tomatoes.

Do you actually see anything informative in that article about "Growlight" Or anything at all? Honestly?

Or is it one big commercial with no information at all and that only spams for this same "Buzzzz juice" company that has been spammed here before?

samthomas wrote:Give your suggestions

I think this company called "advancednutrients" is trying hard to spam this website with their uninformative commercials (or uninformative blogs that lead to them only) while at the same time trying to look like legit posts. My suggestion: Why even bother looking at anything from this place if they can only try and BS people to get them to buy their "BuZzZzZz" products.

I'm grumpy and harsh, eh? But, at least I'm being honest about it.
Dumbo

Postby allenwang » Mar 29, 2012 9:54 am

The grow light can help plants grow fast, I think the LED grow light is better, it can save more energy,
It is popular now.
allenwang

Postby Homeflower » Mar 30, 2012 9:54 am

LED grow light or HPS grow light or HID, any envidence? Any Data?
Homeflower

Postby cable24601 » Jul 30, 2012 5:59 pm

Homeflower wrote:LED grow light or HPS grow light or HID, any envidence? Any Data?

Depends on what you are trying to grow. Greens like lettuce will do fine with CFL or LED but if you are going for big plants like tomatoes you will need MH and HPS
Visit my blog at http://www.getforked.ca
cable24601

Postby Jersm » Aug 01, 2012 7:15 pm

samthomas wrote:How important are hydroponic grow lights in indoor and outdoor hydroponics gardening?

Indoor vegetable gardening needs plenty of lights. Hydroponic grow lights come in a variety of types such as full-spectrum fluorescent bulbs, metal halide grow lamps, high pressure sodium lights, and high-intensity LED grow lights and it is essential to select the perfect light sensibly.

What you think?? I read this article ( Indoor And Outdoor Hydroponics Gardening ) but still im confused ...How important are hydroponic grow lights? Give your suggestions and tell me your experience.

Okay so first of all without light the plant cant go trough Photosynthesis and has no fuel to grow. A fact you should know about all plants is they mainly use Two color spectrums. The blue spectrum promotes root and branch growth and thick stems while the red specrum promotes fruiting/flowering. blue(5000k+) is to mimic summer or spring when the sun is higher. Red(2700k+) is to mimic winter time when the sun is lower oh the horizon making it red ish.

incandecent= most of the energy is turned into heat, gets very hot up close and lacks the right spectrum for healthy plants. they usually end up shooting a very tall skinny stock and fallnig over.

FLuorecent light bubs: cost effective, not expensive and comes in many spectrums and sizes from tubes to compact. this light usually doesnt get very warm but its lumens drop off very quick at range.
Cool whites(5000k average)= blue spectrum
Warm white(2700k average)=red spectrum
full spectrum = both red and blue spectrum

LED: very cost effective to run but still expensive to buy a bulb also they dont light up large areas very directed light streams.

Metal halide= Blue spectrum high intensity discharge light for large scale and can be expensive. gets very hot and is super bright you usually need shades it lights up entire rooms or large green houses.(used to light school gyms)

High pressure sodium= a red spectrum high intensity discharging light for large scale. this red/orange looking light is great for fruiting/floweing but can be expensive per unit. and does get hot it would need ventilation in small areas. (ex:street lights)

now that you know some general info about the light types, ask yourself these;

step 1:
is it a leafy plant or a fruiting plant? plants like letus will only need a blue spectrum light and they dont get very large so low intensity discharging lights like fluorecent work perfectly. I happen to have a bunch of letus growing under two Cool white fluorecent tubes.

If its a fruiting plant you will need to start with blue spectrum for growing the plant then switch to red for fruiting/flowering. some people may choose to use full spectrum from start to finish if its a flowering/fruiting plant.

Step 2:
How big is the plant going to be? if its a tall plant it will need more light per square foot. Lights like fluorecents have a very steep lumen per square foot drop off. The further the the light the more dramatic the light loss and has less foliage penetration. of course you may choose to get a higher wattage fluorecent light but it raises the run cost too.

the ideal is giving every leaf as much light possible for Photosynthesis but once you reach a large enough scale it would be more cost effective to replace a whole room of high watt low discharging lights with one high intensity light like metal halide or HPS. metal halide being a blue spectrum and HPS being the red.

my opinion:
I personally love using fluorecent lights, i have had tons of success with them. They are inexpensive to buy and run plus you can always add reflextors to guide the light back to the plant. I have not tested LED since its expensive for a single unit so I end up just going to what works and thats fluorecent tubes and compacts.
Jersm

Postby kyomax » Aug 16, 2012 2:18 am

people always considered about energy saving,fixture lifespans,heat dissipation,working efficiency,performance,and the most important-price and so on.
Make a data base,then you should know which one is better for you.
kyomax

Postby Jersm » Aug 16, 2012 11:49 am

the last months i grew letus from seeds indoors in small containers with potting soil. For light i used two "cool white" fluorecent tubes.

my findings were that yes the blue spectrum is great for foliage growth. however, without any red spectrum the letus had very very poor stem growth. the letus was still eddible but just long and skinny.

i ended up putting them outside and now they are all doing great. the stems on the letus are thick enough to support themselves now. I now have about 15 heads of romaine letus growing outside.

my next project will be giving both red and blue spectrum.
Jersm

Postby michaelstone » Sep 19, 2012 11:33 am

I'm new to this, I've got grape tomatoes, celery, green onions, yellow/orange/red peppers and romaine lettuce growing in a bunch of blue boxes and plan on bringing them in for the fall/winter. Someone is going to give me a bunch of 48" light fixtures for florescents to use but am wondering if they would be good enough. I could have them above and mounted at sides too to give light all around if need be.

Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions.
michaelstone

Postby Dumbo » Sep 19, 2012 4:08 pm

1. Make sure to get new lights for the old fixture. Search this forum and search the "plant talk" forum on the brands and types (colours).

2. ignore all websites and people trying to sell you 400$ to 1000$ led grow lights.

3. No these lights won't be enough to sustain growth and even sustain a grown plant that you have grown over the summer. It will take a lot of them. It might be good enough for the lettuce. You will need them all near a window and use these lights as supplements. Leave lights on for about 16-hrs a day.

It will be good enough to start plants and sustain them 4 months or so.

How many fixtures? How much real sun light. Can you upload pictures of all these plants you plan on keeping?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Next

Return to Indoor Plants