Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Looking for advice on lawn care

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Looking for advice on lawn care

Postby Andy_V » Jul 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Is this a good place to ask questions about lawn care? I live in Calgary and just bought a house with rather weedy lawn. Most sites on lawn care are more relevant to the States so when they say "early fall" I am not sure how to translate it to our climate. I was not able to find a lawn care forum for Canadians; I you know one, please let me know.

Basically, as a newbee to lawn care, I need help with the following questions:
a) If the lawn was neglected by the previous owner, is it even possible to restore it to a healthy condition on my own? Or should I forget about and look for professional help asap?
b) If it is possible do do it on my own and considering I can dedicate about an hour every evening and more on the weekends - would somebody help me to come up with a step-by-step plan of what exactly I need to do and when?

Currently, there are a lot of dandelions; not over the entire lawn but rather in patches. I would probably count between 50-150 dandelions in total over 100 m2 area (I never counted them thus giving a rather broad range to give you an idea that the lawn is not peppered with them, but only some areas are). Also there are some clover patches, black maddic patches, and some grass with pale broader-than-usual leaves. There are also some weed-free areas (probably 20-25% of the lawn). The grass itself seems rather stressed though, leaning to the ground instead of growing straight up. Some areas are compacted by kids ; the grass is growing very slow there. I have similar problems with the frontyard but I decided to leave it for next year maybe...

So what do you think? Should I find another website for asking these kind of questions or would I be able to get some good advice here? Just need somebody to coach me at the beginning; I tried a few things on my own but I feel like I might cause more problems instead...
Andy_V

Re: Looking for advice on lawn care

Postby Countryboy » Jul 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Well the good news is that the answer to both a and b is yes. :)

And there is good insight in Canadian Gardening itself on lawns. Go to the search bar at the top of the page and type in 'lawn care'. U will find a lot of step-by-step instructions thru many of the links that will pop up.

The forum is good for answers to specific questions, but for overall knowledge... it's already *mostly* codified here in the CG site.

Best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Re: Looking for advice on lawn care

Postby jennyferry » Aug 06, 2013 12:58 am

Andy_V wrote:a) If the lawn was neglected by the previous owner, is it even possible to restore it to a healthy condition on my own? Or should I forget about and look for professional help asap?
b) If it is possible do do it on my own and considering I can dedicate about an hour every evening and more on the weekends - would somebody help me to come up with a step-by-step plan of what exactly I need to do and when?

your issue is very similar to mine and the area i had for lawn is 2000sq meter.
i bought sprinklers of low size quality 10 supporting 2 inch of water.
constant watering got positive results.
jenny is looking at soursop tree benefits for soursop fruit juice.
jennyferry

Return to Over the Garden Fence