Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Foragers reference

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Foragers reference

Postby davefrombc » Dec 08, 2012 2:14 pm

I don't remember if I posted this link before or not ; but there is a great reference guide in the making .. Right now there are online pictures of edible plants, berries and fungi listed for every province. It makes an interesting browse through the listings.
Here is the URL to the site: http://www.northernbushcraft.com/
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Re: Foragers reference

Postby Laura » Dec 09, 2012 8:26 am

Great info ..... everyone should plant some native species in their gardens.They don't need as much care and they are not prone to so many disease's.And they are great for attracting wildlife.

Laura

Postby CdnChelsea » Dec 09, 2012 5:58 pm

When I was a little girl, my step-father showed me a few wild mushrooms we could eat. He carefully picked them, checking to make sure they were at the edible stage of their growth.
For instance, there is a beautiful looking hugh white mushroom called a "Puffball". My dad said we could only pick one if looks to be snow white with no browning or bruising. We ate many of those every Fall.
Yummy, especially when you slice it up like you do with bread, then toss some butter and garlic in a pan, a little salt and pepper then add the slices of mushroom. Fry until golden brown on each side. Mmmm, mm, good. Add a juicy steak and a salad... Delicious.

Shaggy Manes are good too when fried up the same way as the Puffball. I can remember my dad always reminding me that Shaggy Manes should have white gills. You can only eat shaggy manes when the gills are snow white. When the gills go black.....you are going to get sick. Trust me on this one....been there done that. Never again.
I only eat the white ones now. My dad warned me and I didn't listen. I learned my lesson the hard way. :roll:

We have some Morels growing on the back part of our property too. Lots of rotting wood back there. Apparently they are quite the delicacy in restaurants. I have a difficult time looking at one 'cause they are uuugly.
So I don't eat many of them.

Ever try dandelions in a salad?
Bitter but good !
Havest the leaves before the flowers come and before any animal pees on it.

That's what my dad told me!!!

Well, that's all I know about edible plants so thank you very much Dave, for the information. I really like learning about nature.

: )

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby broken580 » Dec 10, 2012 1:20 am

Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life
broken580
broken580

Return to Over the Garden Fence