Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Electric Windpower Generation Canada.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Postby Durgan » Jun 23, 2009 5:23 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Windpower 23 June 2009 Electric Wind power Generation Canada.

The total installed electric generating capacity of Canada is 111000 Megawatts. Hydroelectric 58%, nuclear 12%, natural gas 6%, fuel oil and coal 3%. This is 98% of the total. The other two percent is generated by a combination of biomass, solar energy, and windmills.

The windmills operate about 18% of the time, and will never be a factor in the big picture. The windmills are on the Canada side of Lake Erie, and when touring most blades were not turning due to lack of wind. At best they are a very expensive sop ( mostly subsidized by the taxpayer) to the green faction, and serve little practical purpose. The statistics speak for themselves.

I got this much of this information touring the Canadian side of Lake Erie.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Re: Electric Windpower Generation Canada.

Postby Eeyore » Jun 23, 2009 5:30 pm

I wonder what the POTENTIAL is though? The wind blows almost constantly in Southern Alberta (and lately in Northern Alberta as well) and Summerside PEI is continually windy, so if more wind farms were developed would it be possible to generate enough capacity to offset the costs?
Or is BIG OIL too far in the Canadian and American Government pockets with their huge subsidies and payouts to even allow politicians to think in a more sustainable vein?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Durgan » Jun 23, 2009 6:22 pm

There is evidence that wind power generates more CO due to manufacture and installation than it is supposed to save.. Also, all wind power must be backed up with more reliable systems when the wind doesn't blow. Some-one who lives on Lake Erie told me most of the wind blows in the Winter, and with the hot weather the power is needed now.

Politicians and the ignorant propagate this wind power as a panacea for power generation. I suggest the cost doesn't justify the installation of such. I always say apply the figures.

No manufacturer is installing these towers without feeding at the Government trough.

Some people even suggest a windmill in the backyard. They have no idea of the tremendous size of the installation, in order to generate any power of significance. .This comment applies to solar panels- And mull over when the sun doesn't shine.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby eccs19 » Jun 23, 2009 9:43 pm

There is actually a wind farm not that far from where I live. (Shelburne) It's always windy over this way, so I expect these ones are probably paying for themselves. (I've been wrong before) :lol:
eccs19

Postby TracyTucker » Nov 09, 2013 12:37 am

Durgan wrote:Electric Windpower Generation Canada.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Windpower 23 June 2009 Electric Wind power Generation Canada.

The total installed electric generating capacity of Canada is 111000 Megawatts. Hydroelectric 58%, nuclear 12%, natural gas 6%, fuel oil and coal 3%. This is 98% of the total. The other two percent is generated by a combination of biomass, solar energy, and windmills.

The windmills operate about 18% of the time, and will never be a factor in the big picture. The windmills are on the Canada side of Lake Erie, and when touring most blades were not turning due to lack of wind. At best they are a very expensive sop ( mostly subsidized by the taxpayer) to the green faction, and serve little practical purpose. The statistics speak for themselves.

I got this much of this information touring the Canadian side of Lake Erie.

I have noticed many countries have bad policies for renewable source of energies like solar and wind..In Uk there is fee to use solar panels for DIY use which is wrong
TracyTucker

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 09, 2013 3:11 pm

I can recall that farmers in Alberta back in the late 1940's often had wind turbines to generate power. However, in those days they also had a basement full of batteries because rural areas had not yet been electrified. Today, small turbines would still be practical with excess power put into the power grid as a credit & when insufficient wind the credit would be used to draw from the grid, hence no need for batteries.
It aint that complicated.Heck I have seen a U.S.publication where an oil drum was split down the middle & then the two halves welded to a shaft & mounted on a turntable. A V-belt then drove a automotive generator...voila electical power....cost minimal.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby TracyTucker » Nov 11, 2013 11:38 am

TracyTucker wrote:
Durgan wrote:Electric Windpower Generation Canada.

The total installed electric generating capacity of Canada is 111000 Megawatts. Hydroelectric 58%, nuclear 12%, natural gas 6%, fuel oil and coal 3%. This is 98% of the total. The other two percent is generated by a combination of biomass, solar panels, and windmills.

I got this much of this information touring the Canadian side of Lake Erie

I have noticed many countries have bad policies for renewable source of energies like solar and wind..In Uk there is fee to use solar panels for DIY use which is wrong
TracyTucker

Return to Over the Garden Fence