Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

My Turn For Help

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

My Turn For Help

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 12, 2013 12:30 pm

I have moss trying to gain a foothold in a shady corner of my lawn which of course is
choking out the grass. How the heck do I get rid of it ?

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Re: My Turn For Help

Postby Countryboy » May 12, 2013 3:27 pm

My lawn merges into forest on three sides... there's a 'transition zone'. So far I've been letting whatever greenery that wins the battle of survival just stay there as the victor. But always I have in mind to tackle the mosses around here one day.

So I was interested to hear a lady with a 'moss in lawn' problem phone in to CBC's Ontario Today with John Bradshaw. According to him. mosses will thrive in areas of over-compaction and under-nutrition.

I know for sure that would apply to most areas of my lawn! :oops: lol
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Hello Frank: I kinda knew the cause of the moss but did he tell the lady how to get rid of it once it appears ? Hopefully without digging up the area & reseeding grass.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Countryboy » May 12, 2013 7:58 pm

The nutrition would be easy enuf, but the only way to aerate is to rent an aerator and pluck plugs out from all over your lawn. There's probably enuf grass mixed with the moss to reestablish itself, maybe.

I would think of it as a two or three year project.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby davefrombc » May 12, 2013 8:22 pm

You could try spreading some lime to start. Moss likes acid soil. Add some fertilizer for the grass . You could spread a thin layer of mixed compost and fertilizer to bring up the soils fertility, and if the area with the moss problem has a tendency to remain wet, try to find a way to improve drainage there. You could also set your mower to cut the grass a little higher where there is moss. That lets the grass gain a bit of advantage over the lower growing moss.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby conniepr » May 15, 2013 8:27 am

And me... I'm trying to get the moss to grow under my trees so I don't have to mow there! :D
conniepr

Postby Jersm » May 15, 2013 2:36 pm

have youtried shoveling it out and putting top soil then turf builder or lawn seeds w/e.

then if its going off your land you could place some rubber or metal plate type things on the border of your land between the new top soil and the rest of the moss.

thats what i would try.
Jersm

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 17, 2013 10:57 pm

I took the easy way out by going to an outfit called Apache Seed. They sold me something called Moss Soft with fertilizer mixed in which you attach to the garden hose
soak first with water then spray the product. Two days later the moss had turned black & the grass starting to green up. I'm optomistic that by summer's end that the grass will be recovered & the moss gone.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 17, 2013 11:04 pm

I took the easy way out by going to an outfit called Apache Seed. They sold me something called Moss Soft with fertilizer mixed in which you attach to the garden hose
soak first with water then spray the product. Two days later the moss had turned black & the grass starting to green up. I'm optomistic that by summer's end that the grass will be recovered & the moss gone.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas