Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Inground Sprinkler System

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Inground Sprinkler System

Postby 06Honda » Apr 18, 2013 6:56 pm

I have an inground sprinkler system brand name (Rain Bird). Last year I set it up to run every second day. Grass stayed green and lush all year during a drought. Mind you the water bill got up to $170 one month so this year I was planning on using it once per week. This year looks to be a more normal summer so less water will likely be needed. Not sure how long each zone would need to run once per week to get a proper amount of water which seems to be around 1 - 2 inches per week. Any general guides for using an inground system once per week or is every 2nd day the way to go.
http://paul-otoole.artistwebsites.com/

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5B
06Honda

Re: Inground Sprinkler System

Postby Countryboy » Apr 19, 2013 8:31 am

I've been known to set out containers . . dishes, or aluminum pie plates . . . just to catch rain. Overnite, or for a day or two, just to get a handle on how many inches of rain we've received over any time frame.

I would do that with your sprinkler system, once or twice a week, 'til u've got your recommended amount of inches per week nailed down.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Re: Inground Sprinkler System

Postby 06Honda » Apr 19, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks for the post, will check it out.
http://paul-otoole.artistwebsites.com/

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5B
06Honda

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas