Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

A few Pics of my garden 2012

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: A few Pics of my garden 2012

Postby Scrapinthehat » Nov 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Wouldn't it be great if several of us could actually get together and tour each others' spaces?!

For now, I think I'll just plunk myself down in that gazebo and dream a spell....ahh....thanks Lulu.

I've never tried an Asian area...I agree that its daunting. My pagoda in front of a mugho pine is as far as it goes!
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Lulu » Nov 21, 2012 10:15 pm

When I moved to this house, 9 years ago, the Japanese/Asian garden was uppermost in my mind, but, the entire yard was an almost blank slate, and the house needed a ton of work, so, had to pick & choose what I could do, and when. Not as strong/healthy now, but, still have not given up the dream!
Lulu

Postby Scrapinthehat » Nov 22, 2012 11:51 am

Lulu...I can relate. We moved here 8 years ago and there have been many projects...most of which were outdoor projects. The yard was "done", but needed a lot of work starting with ripping out a lot of the overgrown and/or agressive plants. It can be overwhelming doing most of it by myself ( and I'm not a very big/strong girl). I've had to hire help for some things and it's getting to where I want it...slowly.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby fernleaf » Nov 22, 2012 12:46 pm

Your pictures of brugs are incredibly beautiful! Wow! Makes me sorry that I have never tried to grow them. Several years back I was at Canadian Tire and they were selling boxed brugs early in spring. I procrastinated and didn't buy one at the time. Now I regret that decision, after seeing your plants. Unfortunately, there are no greenhouses around my area that offer these plants for sale. I do see seeds advertised in various seed catalogues but haven't as yet ordered any because it probably takes several years (10?)to get the plants to the size of yours. Where on earth do you store all your mature plants? in a heated greenhouse, the basement, garage? How low a temp could they survive? Do they require any special treatment other than watering and fertilizing?
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." Albert Camus
fernleaf

Postby Lulu » Nov 22, 2012 2:15 pm

fernleaf wrote:Your pictures of brugs are incredibly beautiful! Wow! Makes me sorry that I have never tried to grow them. Several years back I was at Canadian Tire and they were selling boxed brugs early in spring. I procrastinated and didn't buy one at the time. Now I regret that decision, after seeing your plants. Unfortunately, there are no greenhouses around my area that offer these plants for sale. I do see seeds advertised in various seed catalogues but haven't as yet ordered any because it probably takes several years (10?)to get the plants to the size of yours. Where on earth do you store all your mature plants? in a heated greenhouse, the basement, garage? How low a temp could they survive? Do they require any special treatment other than watering and fertilizing?

Not sure where you live, or what zone you're in, so, will answer in general terms.

Several of the Rona's and Canadian Tire stores in southern Ontario offer brugs, mostly, NOID's (no identification) but pink, yellow, white. They're usually around $8. to $10., which is a pretty fair price, for a 18" plant. Surprisingly, I've seen a few of these with one or two blooms on them. They only bloom above the "Y". Seed to bloom usually takes 2 or 3 years, depending on the particular cultivar, and seeds will never be true to the parent, while cuttings will. Cuttings can bloom in their first year.

I have a lot of plants, mostly put into hibernation in my very tiny cold storage room; several others plus some cuts, are under grow lights in the main part of the basement, which is not usable space for anything other than plants. Many were started from seed, many from cuts, obtained in plant swaps, and some purchased.

Brugs cannot tolerate anything below 10 degrees, celsius, thus, are generally brought in, late September, early October, depending on the weather forecasts.They stay in the cold storage or basement for approximately 6 months; those in cold storage are cut back,severely, stripped of their leaves, rootballs cut back significantly, and are given 1/2 to 1 cup of water, per month, and kept in darkness. The others are watered weekly, and left to leaf out, and kept under or near grow lites, as there is only one tiny window where they are stored. When their leaves are kept on, they are bug magnets, whether in the house or basement.

Once planted (pot or ground) they need lots of water, lots of sun and frequent fertilizing (weekly), and generally bloom in July, Aug & September.

The top pics in the collage show the three raised beds in May, when they were first brought out if the basement, the bottom row shows them in July. Some larger ones are about 7 or 8 years old, (can get up to 12 ft) while the potted ones are two or three years old; all are cut back significantly, for ease in storage.

If you still want to try one, I can send you a cut, in the spring, for postage only.
Attachments
Raised Bed Brug Collage.jpg
Lulu

Postby bluewillow » Nov 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Simply breathtaking Lulu ..... magnificent!

I remember the wedding ..... you made magic happen.

sheila
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Lulu » Nov 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Well, thanks, Sheila! That was a marathon of work!

Good memory, in spite of me not taking a whole lot of pics, cuz I was busy, and I did not post too many pics with people in them (bride & groom's request)!

If anyone else want's to get married in my yard, I'm leaving the country! Too much pressure!
Lulu

Postby Smitty » Dec 01, 2012 11:37 am

Oh be still my heart...absolutely breathtaking Lulu...very pleasurable on a Manitoba winters morn :-0
most definitely you are an enabler...mine are in basement under lights and seem to be holding their own so far.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Lulu » Dec 01, 2012 11:56 am

I've got a ton of brugs, in all stages, in the basement, but found a 2 ft cutting, with almost 30 pods on it. Brought it upstairs, and it has since dropped at least 20 of the pods,,hoping the last ones will hang on! It'd sure be nice to have it blooming for Christmas!
Attachments
Marisol in bud nov 23,2012.JPG
Lulu

Postby mike in Ottawa » Dec 01, 2012 5:02 pm

WARNING to all those who receive gifts from Lulu, she will turn you into Bruggists, always wanting more and more. Before i received a gift from lulu i was a gardener who liked to putter round the garden cut the grass, put a few veggies in, but then Lulu has this scheme to turn everyone into Bruggists.
I responded to her devious offer of a Brug or 2, but what did she do she sent me 14, it was like she leads you on and then she reels you in. So after babying these 14 green stubby sticks for about 6 months i was forced to put them outside in the garden or in large pots, and then i had to look after them, feed them, they became a obsession, i kept talking to them willing them to grow, and then they responded and started to grow, some more than others so then you start moving the pots around the garden looking for better spots. By the time July comes you spend all the time looking for those elusive pods, but nothing, you start to imagine there is a pod, by August finally you think there is one and yes it is, you then spend all day watching it grow, but it only seems to do when you sleep, you keep checking all the others, and finally another one has a pod so you start berating the others why they have'nt podded, by September finally a flower you are in heaven, one flower and thats it, the first frost comes along and gone.

You then dig up the plants pot them up, spray them and haul them down to the basement, and you say finally i can have a life for the next few months, but then she the Queen Bruggist comes along with her pictures, and rubs it in your face that you must try harder next year.

Dont let this lady hook you in as you too will become a Bruggist. I have my next meeting of BA (Bruggists Anonymous) tonight, hopefully i will feel better afterwards, just dont let her get to you with her gifts and pictures, as she is the Queen Bruggist.

:lol:
mike in Ottawa

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery