Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Polymers in soil

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Polymers in soil

Postby Diane H » Apr 26, 2013 3:46 pm

I downsized a year and a half ago and the backyard is covered entirely with paving stones. I have about 20' x 20' to work with. I want to remove some stones and have the remaining relevelled because they have sunk into the ground. I got a quote from a landscaper and I noticed that he had written "polymeric sand" but he hadn't mentioned it or asked if I wanted it. I think the garden was paved about 10 years ago. Is it likely that they used polymeric sand? Is it safe to eat herbs or vegetables grown in soil with polymers in it? I like to keep my garden organic. It was really hot out there last summer so I need a lot of greenery. I was thinking I might grow thyme between the paving stones and plant a bush or small tree as well as flowers and vegetables. Any suggestions?
Diane H

Re: Polymers in soil

Postby Jersm » May 03, 2013 9:14 am

okay so i did a research and i found this sheet on polymetric sand. as far as ive been able to tell there is not much effects if ingested. it seems the only real issue about it is long term inhalation.

I suppose ide recommend a mask if you start shoveling it around.

http://www.neavelandscaping.com/pdf/labels/chemical-msds/(26)%20Polymeric%20Sand.pdf

a second source on health effects

http://digitalfire.com/4sight/hazards/c ... y_251.html
Jersm

Re: Polymers in soil

Postby carolrobinsn » May 14, 2013 5:25 am

Polymerized sand is good for garden paths and pavements as it provides with lots of advantages along with inhibiting the growth of weeds alongside. It doesn't wash out easily and stays stable
+
carolrobinsn

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening