Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Abelia Mosanensis

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Abelia Mosanensis

Postby sheislaura » May 08, 2014 4:02 pm

I've been having a very tough time trying to source the Abelia Mosanensis shrub for my garden. I live in Ontario, just outside of Toronto. I've called all the major nursery's and nobody carries it. Does anyone have any advice on where I can find this shurb? It means a lot to this have this variety for personal reasons, I know it's part of the honeysuckle family but this is the only one I want. Any help would be appreciated.
sheislaura

Re: Abelia Mosanensis

Postby StephenW-G » May 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi!
I'm also a big fan of Abelia mosanensis, and I bought three of them about five years ago at Dominion Seed House (now W.H. Perron), so you might try contacting them to see if they still have any in stock. Sadly they aren't listed, but they may have some parent plants that they'd take cuttings of for you. Otherwise you're looking at importing from a US nursery (e.g., Bluestone Perennials, Ohio) which isn't impossible, but it can get expensive (phyto-sanitary certificates, etc).
I wish I wasn't an CG employee, because my three have outgrown their space, and I'm looking at transplanting one (and now is a good time) and giving away the other one--but if I do it for one reader, I'll have to do it for everyone.
How's this: If you can't find any this spring, I'll try to root some cuttings for you (they grow FAST) and put them in the post (I'm just off Hwy 12 in Beaverton, so it's doable).
Email me at stephen@canadiangardening.com, and let us know how you get on! I'm sure I hardly need tell you that the fragrance is beyond ethereal! All best, Stephen W-G
StephenW-G

Return to Plant Talk