Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Zucchini Astia

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Zucchini Astia

Postby kneesinthedirt » Feb 18, 2014 10:14 pm

I am looking for a smaller variety of zucchini to plant in my crowded garden this summer. I thought I had found the answer from Sonia Day who had written an article about this "dwarf" variety called "Astia", which is intended as a container plant. Further research revealed some gardeners who planted it in their garden instead and said it grew even bigger than their regular zucchini plants. Has anyone had experience with this variety and are there any nurseries who have carried this plant (I'd rather not start from seed)?
kneesinthedirt

Re: Zucchini Astia

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 27, 2014 12:55 am

I've never grown astia; but have had good luck with several 'bush' varieties of zucchini which don't send out vines and therefore take up little space. I grow mine in automotive tires filled with soil most of the way to the top, with a big fork-full of horse manure under them. The zucchini themselves hang over the edges of the tires; but that's all the space they occupy. The tires reduce the amount of watering I have to do.

I've never seen zucchini on sale at a garde centre; then again I've never looked for them, since they start so easily from seed. I just look for a seed packet that says it's a bush variety, and stick them in the dirt. I like yellow varieties as they are easier to spot before they turn into logs. :-)
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Return to Plant Talk