Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What is this vine?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What is this vine?

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 26, 2013 5:34 pm

v1.jpg
IMG_1176v1.jpg
I drive home from Waterloo out to Wellesley township, and have started to notice this vine type thing along the sides of the road. It's noticeable b/c it's lighter than most of the vegetation around it - almost silvery. It's along hwy 7/8 and out towards Guelph too as I noticed on my way back from Toronto on the weekend.

It seems to take over...climbs and covers tree's, shrubs, fences...everything. I wonder if I should alert the MOE lol!

Jenn

Picture one - it's covered the large shrubs under it and picture two, it's starting to creep up a tree.
HeelsDown

Re: What is this vine?

Postby Ian66 » Aug 26, 2013 7:49 pm

I need a close up of the leaf foliage, but it is either a Silver Lace Vine or Sweet Autumn Clematis......both are blooming now......google both to see if it fits.......but a close up of the leaf will tell you

Ian
Ian66

Postby B_BQ » Aug 28, 2013 8:10 pm

I reckon it's the invasive 'cucumber' vine. Grows wild, kinda pretty, but can strangle the life out of shrubs and trees. I was in a constant battle at my other house, and this year, after 8 years here, found it getting a foothold in a big spruce. There's lots of it in the neighbouring fields. Fortunately easy to pull, but it's never-ending.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Hmmmm...cucumber vine. That could be it. I came home from the barn last night and saw some near the road that I could snap a pic of. It really does grow on anything...up and over things, tree's, post's, gate's, fences...crazy.

If I had a tree it was growing up and about to take over it, I'd be pulling it off. Not sure why those people where I've seen this aren't. Any idea why I noticed it more this year than any other year?

Jenn
Attachments
IMG_11972.jpg
HeelsDown

Postby B_BQ » Aug 29, 2013 7:25 am

I don't know why it's so prolific this year - some years it's hardly noticeable. This year is really bad in my area.
Try here for more viewers:
http://testing.canadiangreenthumbs.com/index.php
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Countryboy » Aug 29, 2013 9:35 am

I have this wild cucumber growing thru the bushes at the top of my bank. I leave it there. It does provide a bit of colour, and it's fragrant.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 31, 2013 12:51 pm

It sure is pretty Countryboy...haven't smelled it though. I think I would be afraid to grow it and have it take over lol

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Countryboy » Aug 31, 2013 4:04 pm

One of the reasons I do leave it it 'coz it's soooo easy to weed. Pull the vines now??? Or wait after it flowers. It doesn't really matter. U can almost grab a vine at it's tip and pull out 10 or 12' of it.

So when the seed pods start to appear, I pull it all. But 'til then, I enjoy it. :)

It's also unmistakeable in the Spring at 2" high. Two little round leaves... identical to Squash or Cucumber.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Plant Talk