Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What are these plants?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What are these plants?

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Hello all!

The first one (white), I saw in a friend's garden and mentioned I liked it. Next thing I know, they dropped off a clump of it for me. Before I plant, I'd like to know what it is so I know if I really want it & where I should plant it.

Second one (pink), I think might be some sort of Salvia? It grows in gardens in a few farms on my way home and I love it. I'm presuming it's also a few years old since it's so high?

Thanks!
Jenn
Attachments
photo1.jpg
image (4).jpeg
image (2).jpeg
Last edited by HeelsDown on Aug 13, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeelsDown

Re: What are these plants?

Postby Ian66 » Aug 13, 2013 1:36 pm

The second one looks like a White Obedient plant (Physostegia virginiana)...they come in pink as well.....but their name is a bit misleading.....they tend to spread (suckering) to a large plant very fast and tend to crowd out other plants....I would recommend that you google it to make sure if you want it or not....

The first (pink) may be (hard to see...a close up would help) either pink loosestrife or pink veronica....I am tending to think it is the former....loosestrife (is it growing in ditches?).......it can become invasive especially in watery areas where it likes to grow....but I have grown it in may garden area and it is not a problem....does not spread in drier garden sites than it's prefered wet areas
If it turns out to be a large Veronica species......they are very nice perennials.....
And you also might be right about the Salvia.....need to see the leaves for proper ID

Google my suggestions and let us know....

Ian
Ian66

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Hmmm, think you nailed the White Obedient. I'll double check it against the google images, but from what I remember, it's a dead ringer. When I looked at my friend's, all but two of the blooms were white with two being pink. They hadn't noticed that - didn't actually know what the plant was. And, makes sense since it was living beside a big pond they'd put in! I will have to think about this one. They pulled it out of their garden last night and it's currently on my porch in a bag. Maybe I can stick it on the shady side of my garden where I'm having trouble putting in colour and variety. If it lives, there isn't as much to crowd out as if I put it in the one full sun area I have - where, if it did invade, I'd be annoyed. I only have a small full sun area so I'm choosy about what goes there lol!

Hmm...I'd be so angry at myself it it was Purple Loosestrife. I can't get over that you can buy that as an actual "flower" now. Ugh. It's not in ditches, rather right in their gardens. One farm has it along their driveway too. They looked at me funny when I stopped at the side of their drive to take the pic. Not sure if they'd be ok with me doing a closer up, but I'll see! I think the foliage seems a bit darker on my mystery plant than the google images of Loosestrife.

Veronica though...could be. The flower shape matches a bit closer. I'm leaning towards that now. Salvia images on google don't seem to match the dark pink hue of my picture. Course, I don't imagine that means it can't exist. :)

Regardless, it seems to be full sun to get that big and colourful. I don't currently have a vacancy in that area. Boo!

Thanks Ian!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby zoned5a » Oct 19, 2013 5:03 am

It might be gayfeather, liatris spicata, similar looking to the purple loosestrife but more commonly found in gardens.
zoned5a

Postby Ian66 » Oct 19, 2013 8:09 am

Not liatris .....Liatris blooms start at the top of the flower stalk and opens downward...
If you look at the close up of the flowers, you will see that it isn't the case with this plant.......

Still think it is purple loosestrife....

Ian
Ian66

Postby zoned5a » Oct 19, 2013 11:54 am

Yes that's true. I thought that the top was spent flowers. The liatris has a thinner longer leaf than the purple loosestrife too.
zoned5a

Return to Plant Talk