Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Japanese Willow Flamingo

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Japanese Willow Flamingo

Postby Pattilyn5 » Jul 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi, newer gardener here. I have a Japanese Willow Flamingo in my front garden. I call her Phyllis for Phyllis Diller, as her crown can become quite wild. LOL. She was planted by my mother in the garden outside my kitchen window. I now need to move her, as she hides the front of the house from view. I love her wild side and do not want to have to keep pruning her so drastically just to make her fit in the space she now inhibits.
I have a few questions...
1) when is a good time to move it?
2) anything special I need to do to move it?
3) how big do these things get, as I want to move it to the right place?

Any help would be great!
My Thanks
Patti
Pattilyn5

Re: Japanese Willow Flamingo

Postby Ian66 » Jul 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Best time to move your willow is when it goes into dormacy......late fall or early spring....I prefer early spring since you won't get frost heave of the root ball....
depending how big it is, you should try to get most of the root ball .....don't be too concerned however because it is a willow and the root regeneration is very active....
Remember that willows grow quite large, but your dappled willow should be pruned to keep it bushy and in form......
Water it well through next summer until it becomes established.....

Here is a tip if you want to start other dappled willows from your plant....
Cut off a couple of thumb size branches in the spring and put the ends in a bucket of water.....they will send out roots within 2 to 3 weeks.......then plant these out and presto....you have more willows......

Ian
Ian66

Return to Plant Talk