Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What is happening to my Phlox plant?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What is happening to my Phlox plant?

Postby jammerz » Jul 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and I have a prob with my flowering plant. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Attachments
image.jpg
jammerz

Re: What is happening to my Phlox plant?

Postby Jersm » Jul 14, 2013 8:55 pm

this is Powdery-Mildew.

pasted the next part.
"Once Your Plants are Infected:

Remove and destroy all infected plant parts
Improve air circulation by thinning and pruning
Don't fertilized until the problem is corrected. Powdery mildew favors young, succulent growth
Don't water plants from above
Apply a fungicide: There are many fungicides available. Check the label to be sure they are safe and effective on the type of plant that is infected. Look for ingredients such as: potassium bicarbonate, neem oil, sulfur or copper. There are also chemical fungicides, such as triforine, that can be used on ornamental plants. There is also a home remedy made from baking soda that is effective.
http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenpro ... Mildew.htm

Most fungicides will need repeat applications every 7 - 14 days, for continuous protection. Always follow the label instructions for both application and waiting period before harvest"
Jersm

Re: What is happening to my Phlox plant?

Postby HeelsDown » Jul 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Yep! Powdery mildew. I got that on mine last year. I cut what I could so it didn't spead, and then just cut it back at the end of the season (it happened towards the end of summer luckily). I think I was the one who gave it to them it since I would water them later in the night and would water them above so they didn't dry out.

Good news is that they came up fine this year and are just about ready to flower. I wouldn't be surprised to get it again though with the rain we've bad in SW ON and now the humidity.

Good luck!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Return to Plant Talk