Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Growing cilantro

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Growing cilantro

Postby danarob » Jul 13, 2013 9:56 am

I seem to recall reading somewhere that I could grow cilantro from the roots of the bunch that I bought at the grocery store. I've googled it and can't find any results.

I bought a bunch last night and used the leaves in a dish. Now I am left with all the stocks with the roots. If I plant them, will more cilantro grow? I have the roots in a glass of water right now until I figure out what, if anything, I can do with them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Dana
danarob

Re: Growing cilantro

Postby Ian66 » Jul 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Why not give it a try....you have nothing to lose......bury the roots in potting soil with the greenery above the soil and keep it moist outside with good exposure to sunlight....
Let us know how it works out.....

Ian
Ian66

Re: Growing cilantro

Postby davefrombc » Jul 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Cilantro grows fast and will quickly bolt to seed . If you do get new growth from the roots , you may find it sends up a woody flower stem before you got much useful leaves. It would be better to plant seed and grow new plants.. You should be able to buy whole coriander seed and pant a bit of it. Cilantro is the Spanish name for coriander. If you find you have trouble finding whole coriander seeds in you local market , and there is an East Indian market nearby, you should be able to get the seed there... Coriander is one of their basic spices used nearly every day in curries. Coriander is as basic to Indian cooking as salt and pepper is to the west .
Ask for "dhania" seed in the Indian market .. Dhania is the Punjabi name for Coriander / Cilantro .
You can use the whole plant , not just the leaves.. The stems pack as much or more of the flavour as the leaves, but they must be used when the plant is young as they get woody as the plant matures.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Return to Plant Talk