Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

My yews are yellowing ... can I do anything?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

My yews are yellowing ... can I do anything?

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi all!

Hoping someone can help. I have three yews on the side of my house and all three have gone yellow at the bottom and are dropping a lot of needles. One has to come out anyhow as it's right under a large tree and gets no light, but the other two are really nice. Or were. It's strange b/c at the same time they were going yellow, they also have new growth towards the top.

Checked the interwebs and sure enough, too much water on the roots seem to be the culprit. All the sites I checked based it on the wrong soil or over watering when first planted (these are not new and are both over 6 ft high). But, what does one do when it's the freaking weather?! For every day of sun, we get 5 of solid rain. Omg. Making me mental. Anyone else in SW Ontario knows what I mean!

Can I do anything? Is it too late? The soil is fine - has peat moss and usually drains well. It's just too much rain!

Thanks!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Re: My yews are yellowing ... can I do anything?

Postby Ian66 » Jun 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Sounds like natural needle drop for yews.......they discard their 3rd year needles in spring rather than fall and may exibit more stress if your soil is heavy with the added water that we have had.....
If you have fresh new green growth, You have little to worry about....the yews will be fine.

Here is a website that explains needle drop for conifers and evergreens
http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/pesticides/gotpests/diseases/factsheets/natural-needle-drop-ill.pdf

Ian
Ian66

Re: My yews are yellowing ... can I do anything?

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks Ian! That makes complete sense actually! We moved in the spring of 2011, and this is the first year they've turned yellow so sounds definitely like needle drop. I will breathe a sigh of relief and leave them be. My hubby thought about re-sloping the ground under it to help - as I'm sure there will be more rain in our future here.

Probably combine the rain with that ice storm we had and that's probably what triggered it too.

Thanks again! So funny that I've grown up with evergreens all around me and never noticed they lose their needles on a schedule! So different when you have your own garden to take care of rather than being a care-free kid lol!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Return to Plant Talk