Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

More Problems with my Pyramid Oaks

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

More Problems with my Pyramid Oaks

Postby Canadian Ent » Jun 05, 2013 8:31 pm

I planted some pyramid oaks in late April. They are about 7-8 feet in height.

One of them seems to be okay.

The second was a little later to bud and seemed to be okay. However, there is something going on with some of the leaves. First the veins went yellow, then brown and the leaf went yellow. Then the whole leaf went brown, but did not drop off the branch. And the branches on which this has happened appear dead. It is not all over the tree, but on at least ten, small branches. Also, I've notice that on many leaves are small holes. I would say they are insect holes, but they are too few per leaf and the spread is fairly even.

I wondered if I had over-watered the tree, but I don't know.

The third tree took forever to break bud. an66 suggested it was a root problem and I would have to wait and see. I think he was right (as always). It broke bud over the May 24 weekend, but the leaves are still underdeveloped. I Many of the new leaves are also brownish (but not dry - just a brown hue), though this does seem to fade as the leaves get bigger.

Are the trees just settling into their new spot, or is there a concern?

Any comments/ideas.
Canadian Ent

Re: More Problems with my Pyramid Oaks

Postby Ian66 » Jun 05, 2013 10:07 pm

It sounds that you are concerned and worrying about your newly planted oaks....please be patient as the oaks are trying hard to establish themselves.....Keep the soil moist...do not use any fertilizer on your oaks...they are trying to establish new feeder roots and fertilizer will interfere with this process....
I work at a nursery as a Horticulturalist so I have knowledge when it comes to newly planted trees.....if your trees were in wire baskets or burlap, this means that they originally were grown in a nursery and dug up with a tree spade.....tree spades do not get all of the feeder roots and so the trees have to be given time to establish new ones and try to keep their foliage....what I am trying to say is that it is normal for a tree to lose leaves or leaves become discoloured or even appear small while it struggles...
Time is what is required.....
If you bought your trees from a good nursery, they will have a guarantee which is your lifeboat in the event that the tree doesn't make it.....
My advise.....keep it moist and let the tree do its "thing"

Ian
Ian66

Re: More Problems with my Pyramid Oaks

Postby Canadian Ent » Jun 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Good advice and re-assuring as always - thank you
Canadian Ent

Return to Plant Talk