Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

new brunswick last frost

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

new brunswick last frost

Postby Jersm » Apr 30, 2013 11:24 am

Anyone planting veggies yet in the new brunswick area?

I looked up some sites on google about last frost in N-B seems i have to wait another 10-20 days.
I already sewed about 10 letus only about 2-3-4 seeds per hole. wondering if they will survive.

Ive been expanding the garden about 3x-4x bigger then last year. pulling up all sod and tilling all the major rocks out with two types of pitch forks. also bought 23 bags(20L) of gardening soil for 85cents each at canadian tire for 20$ (no tax discount).

since i have quite calyish soil im tilling it all by hand then digging each row and filling it with the soil so they have a good pit to grow. i'll rent a tiller eventually and mix it all up.
Jersm

Re: new brunswick last frost

Postby CG admin » Apr 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Your lettuce should survive because it's a cool-weather vegetable (like peas, radishes, etc.) and doesn't mind cooler temps - as opposed to tomatoes, which prefer warm soil and sunny temperatures. With those you really need to adhere to that last frost date.
CG admin
Site Admin

Re: new brunswick last frost

Postby Jersm » Apr 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Tara wrote:Your lettuce should survive because it's a cool-weather vegetable (like peas, radishes, etc.) and doesn't mind cooler temps - as opposed to tomatoes, which prefer warm soil and sunny temperatures. With those you really need to adhere to that last frost date.

thanks i should lookup each seed i have to see. I might just go ahead and start planting the rest in a couple days.
Jersm

Return to Plant Talk