Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Please help me save my Alberta Spruce!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Please help me save my Alberta Spruce!

Postby furoley » Apr 29, 2013 12:00 am

My Alberta Spruce is 7-8 feet high. It has been growing for years in the same sunny spot. It is well-shaped, evenly developed and colored from any side...

Unfortunately last fall the whole tree started getting evenly chlorotic. The shade of green turning grayish yellow. You cannot find any single spot more or less affected - the whole tree is changing color. May be the bottom part of it is just a bit more yellowish.
Needles are not dropping yet but i guess they will start soon

I watered it well... At the same time, last week I checked the mulch underneath and noticed lots of white powder like mold in it.

I guess I can rule out mites because of the absence of spots.
What else could it be? This withe mold in mulch? Should I apply sulfur or any other fungicide on top of soil?
Should I try do something with its root system? Inject some fungicide / root hormons deep into root ball?
Should I do some better irrigation / drainage?

Please help me save it.
It is the center of my landscape and took years to grow it that big.

thanks!
furoley

Re: Please help me save my Alberta Spruce!

Postby Tara » Apr 29, 2013 9:56 am

I'm not sure what this could be, but I would maybe take a little clipping to your local nursery and see if anyone on staff might be able to help you with a remedy!
Best of luck!
Tara
Site Admin

Re: Please help me save my Alberta Spruce!

Postby furoley » Apr 30, 2013 1:20 am

Thanks Tara,
The reason might be in the roots
furoley

Return to Plant Talk