Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Fungal Activity on Seedlings

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Fungal Activity on Seedlings

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Apr 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Since we cannot purchase 'Damp-off' anymore, I'm wondering what other solutions can be used for this problem. Here is the method I use for starting my plants:
The boxes and equipment was washed in Javex and water.
I dampen the mix before I put the seeds in the boxes.
I water less often and open the domes on the seed trays just a crack to help prevent damp off.
Use a fan to keep air circulating around trays.
Sandy Zone 3b

Re: Fungal Activity on Seedlings

Postby Countryboy » Apr 14, 2013 2:47 pm

You're more scrupulous than I am... :oops: lol

In a way, anyway. I don't use bleach but just dish soap and water. I do wash my hands . . . thoroughly . . before handling anything. And I still get fungus... :( lol

I've never bought Damp Off but I suspect that the active ingredient in it is Sulphur . . . and I have a can of what's called Garden Sulphur... from Green Earth. It's a powder . . and can be sprinkled or mixed with water and sprayed.

Something like this...
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/garden- ... 0-g/917231

Sold as a fungicide . . it works perfectly against root rot/damp off or any other fungal growth.

Best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Apr 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Would that be too strong for new seedlings?
When I used "DAMP-OFF" I watered it into the mix.
Has anyone tried the product from T & T called SERENADE Garden Disease Control.
It says it can be used on seedlings (Damping-Off)
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby Jersm » Apr 16, 2013 10:03 am

damping-off is the name of a fungal disease so this thread is a bit confusing to me when you say you cant buy damp-off. (buying a disease?)

The only time ive had mold growing is when the soil was over saturated with water. the mold developed during the night when lights are off. I had to take off the first inch of soil and add new soil.

However when i switched to self watering, the problem was solved since no water is introduced via surface and as it dries it wicks water up.

If you keep getting diseases and mold on your soil it sounds like you water it too much and keep it too moist/dark/humid (plus fan spreads spores).
Jersm

Postby lilybulb » Apr 16, 2013 10:52 am

First I agree about the overwatering and second there was a product called "Damp-Off" that was supposed to cure the problem of plants damping off.So no they weren't buying the disease.
lilybulb

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm

That's it exactly, the product we used was called "DAMPOFF" to prevent the new seedlings from getting the fungus that causes damping off. When that happened your seedling rot and you have to start over.
So I've made quite a few changes to the method I use when starting seeds as they are very expensive :roll: :roll: .
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby Jersm » Apr 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Sandy Zone 3b wrote:That's it exactly, the product we used was called "DAMPOFF" to prevent the new seedlings from getting the fungus that causes damping off. When that happened your seedling rot and you have to start over.
So I've made quite a few changes to the method I use when starting seeds as they are very expensive :roll: :roll: .

what kind of changes did you do anyway to prevent future mold?

was overwatering a cause do you think keeping too much moisture, darkness and humidity.
Jersm

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Apr 22, 2013 11:31 am

Over watering is the culprit for many demises of plants etc.
It doesn't take very much to cause the problem.
I clean all pot trays etc. with Javex and hot water ahead of time.
The mix I use is especially for starting seeds and I pour hot water into it and mix and place inside the pots or small plastic pots or the boxes. The plastic boxes that fruit comes in works very well also.
If there is too much humidity that collects on the lids, take them off and wipe them down and put them back. Opening them a crack or wider helps too.
As soon as the seedlings come through the mix I move them under the grow lights.
Placing the grow light right down on top of the boxes. Leave just enough room for the seedlings.
If you have lots of boxes with seedlings growing I use a fan to keep the air circulating around these boxes.
I read some where that Cinnamon works as well as Chamomile tea, I haven't tried these yet.
Sandy Zone 3b

Return to Plant Talk