Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

clematis pruning

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

clematis pruning

Postby kivett » Apr 05, 2013 7:32 pm

The Polish Spirit grows taller than our fence. If we prune it to height of the fence, 8ft., will it bloom lower and cover the 8ft. with blooms?
kivett

Re: clematis pruning

Postby Countryboy » Apr 09, 2013 2:36 pm

I've never grown Clematis. So I know very little abt different types. But climbers like Polish Spirit can be spread out sideways with a little help. And pruning for height might be unproductive for a variety that blooms on new wood

With Morning Glory, I allow them to grow to the top of their support plus a bit, then train them back down as much as possible. I eventually get the bottom filled in. :)

Best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby sandy2 » Apr 10, 2013 11:14 am

You should google "Polish Spirit clematis". There are many sources that will tell you specifically how to prune your clematis. You can and probably should prune this much lower than the top of your fence.
sandy2

Postby haili » Apr 21, 2013 12:30 pm

When I had a Polish Spirit, I cut it right back to about 1 ft. from the ground and it really covered the fence. It grows fast.
haili

Return to Plant Talk