Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

At this time can I plant shrubs ??

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

At this time can I plant shrubs ??

Postby Linda B » Oct 02, 2012 7:50 am

Is it ok to plant new shrubs in the next week or two (i.e. now up till Oct. 14th) ?? I live in Toronto (zone 6). I want to plant boxwoods, maybe spirea and euonymus.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Linda B

Re: At this time can I plant shrubs ??

Postby kelly_m » Oct 02, 2012 9:05 am

YES!!!!!!!!

This actually the best time to plant them, as the stress from the transplant is not as severe as spring or summer.

In spring the shrubs and trees are starting their new growth, and often that gets stunted fror the season if not treated right. Summer you risk too much shock especially if hot and dry like last summer!

Fall....the trees and shrubs are starting to go into dormancy...but not quite...therefore there is still time for the roots to take hold without the temperature shock and the the waking up and starting to grow shock. Weather is cooler, soil is workable, and the addition of a good transplant fertilizer ( high middle number) will all help. Then once youve watered and fertilized....it settles its roots and bob's your uncle! LOL

Rule of thumb in my area is they are good to go till the first snow! lol
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: At this time can I plant shrubs ??

Postby countrychic » Oct 02, 2012 10:12 am

ditto the YES, this is the best time to divide, move and plant!
countrychic

Return to Plant Talk